Some Important Facts about Indian Constitution
- The Indian constitution is unique in its content and spirit.
- Lengthiest written Constitution
- Blend of Rigidity and Flexibility
- Federal system with unitary features
- Parliamentary form of Government
- Independent judiciary
- Single citizenship
- Emergency provision
- The father of the Indian Constitution is Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
- The Constitution Was Originally Written in English and Hindi.
- Indian Constitution wasn’t typed or printed.
- It is handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada (English).
- The Hindi version of the Original Constitution was Written by Vasant Krishan Vaidya.
Prem Behari Narain Raizada, a master of calligraphic art, singlehandedly handwrote the Constitution. Although it took him 6 months to complete the task, yet he charged no money for his work.
- Each page of the constitution was decorated by artists from Shantiniketan Beohar Rammanohar Sinha and Nandalal Bose.
The original manuscript of the Constitution was written on parchment sheets.
- Size of the paper 16X22 inches having a lifespan of a thousand years!
- It took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to complete the final draft.
- When it was completed, the manuscript was 251 pages.
- It weighed 3.75 kgs.
- The total expenditure incurred on making the Constitution amounted to 64 lakh.
- The Constitution contained 395 Articles and 8 Schedules and was about 145,000 words long, It Is the Longest Constitution in the World.
- Currently, the Constitution of India comprises 470 articles in 25 parts, 12 schedules and 5 appendices.
- There are 104 amendments (25 January 2020) have been made in the Indian constitution till the date.
- The Constitution and photolithographed was published in Dehradun by the Survey of India on 26 Jan 1950.
- The original copies of the Indian Constitution, written in Hindi and English, are kept in special helium-filled cases in the Library of the Parliament of India.