- Brahma – Marriage of duly dowered girl same class man.
- Daiva – Sacrificial Marriage by father to priest as his fees.
- Arsha – Token of bride price of a cow or bull was paid to a daughter by his father.
- Prajapatya – Without dowry and without bridal price.
- Gandharva – Clandestine marriage, by the consent of two parties.
- Asura – Marriage by Purchases.
- Rakshasa – Marriage by capture.
- Paishacha – Marriage involves the seduction of a girl.
- Anuloma – Higher varna Men to lower varna Women.
- Pratiloma – Lower varna men to Higher Varna Women.